3D initial model (Developing and experimenting)

 This is an experimenting post where I started creating the prototype model with the previously chosen materials. There will also be a blogged process, but in this post, I will be talking about how well the materials worked together for this model and what changes I will be doing for the final model.




The main materials I used were foamboard and mountboard.




This is a piece of foam board with line cuts I made to help the material bend. This was for the wave part that curves. Then I tried to apply it on a piece of mount board by cutting a line horizontally to the middle of the piece. This was to test how I could curve the wave while held up by the left straight wall of the design. 



After I cut up all the pieces for the building I tried gluing them with PVA glue. This turned out better than expected because all the edges were cut clean and everything fit together precisely. 



With all the lines cut needed for the wave curve, the prototype looked precise


The biggest problem was when I had to apply the second foamboard pieces which was the right curved wall made out of foam board with the same cutting technique. The material wouldn't stay in place and it kept popping out of the shape even when the glue was dried. I tried to form objects around it and apply it again, this time holding it in place longer, It worked but the result looked messy and not clean or precise. The next step would be to apply the wave with the columns but the curved wall was really fragile which would support the added piece to it. 




Trying to create this prototype, helped me consider better ways in which I could proceed to create the final piece by using better materials and better applications. For my final piece, I am thinking of using wood at the wood workshop where I will be creating all the pieces for the design which will be similar to these pieces of the prototype and I will be following this post with a 3D planning post and the process blog of creating the prototype step by step. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 Further Research - Wassily Kandinsky

Creating my boards process / results - Project Development

Week 5 further research