Primary Research Exercice

In today's class, we had an exercise about primary research. We walked around campus and then walked in the Vijay Patel building while taking photos of anything that related to our project and theme. We also had some time to sit down and create some quick sketches or development sketches. 

Here are some of the pictures I took: 


I mostly photographed places and spaces where I could look for similarities or get inspiration for my project which is oceanic-themed. I was planning to include a lot of organic form elements on my building so there are also some pictures with curved structures. In some of the images, there are also places on campus where there were some metal striped structures and then some more images of the Vijay Patel's interior.



 In these photos, there are the curved and metal structures of the buildings














In these images, I photographed these interlocked staircases with geometric structures in the Vijay Patel building. 




Then we sat at the sitting area in front of these stairs, and I got inspired by the images I took so I went ahead and tried sketching a developed sketch based on the original idea I had with the wave building. 


Here is one of the sketches: 


In this sketch, I drew the original shape of the building but I removed the wave from the side part by drawing instead a straight wall since I planned from my previous developing sketch post that i would change the design a bit. Then I decided to add the wave in the middle of the building. The end of the wave will extend at the sides of the building and on the right-extended side of the wave there will be a terrace held up by metal stripes/columns. 




Afterward, we went to the Kimberly Library to search for books that related to our progression routes and projects for research. I found three books, the first one is Architecture in the 20th Century Udo Kultermsnn, the second is the total fluidity studio Zaha Hadid Projects 2000-10 and the third one is the Willis Faber & Dumas Building Foster Associates, Gabriele Bramante Architecture in detail. I tried to find books that have more modern architecture and from what I've seen so far by reading a little through them, they contain a lot of knowledge on the structure I'm looking on having for my project so they will be helpful in improving my process. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 Further Research - Wassily Kandinsky

Creating my boards process / results - Project Development

Week 5 further research